Friday, January 14, 2011

Queensland flooding

I don't know how many of you know about this, but Queensland (the state I will be living in when I'm in Australia) has been having disastrous flooding.

Many people are missing, dead or have fatal injuries. The last I read 30 people were dead, but I am sure (sadly) that that particular toll has gone up. Tons have been evacuated from the state, and the school I am going to attend is shut down as of now. The apartment I'm living in (yes I finally found out) is shut down due to loss of power and everyone has been evacuated from it.

Here's a video about the flooding, which shows just how damaging this water is: http://news.yahoo.com/video/world-15749633/incredible-images-of-australia-flooding-23824222

Below are some photos:




I just wanted to make everyone aware of this because more often than not, Australia's news is not widely distributed to America. Think about it. Besides recently, with the flooding, how often have you read about Australia's issues?

Despite this horrific water issue, there are ways to help and one way is to donate. Here is the official QLD government website, where you can donate: http://www.qld.gov.au/floods/donate.html. You can do it by a phone call or cheque. Based on their constantly updated website, the funds raised (as of 3.00pm, 13 January 2011) have been: $45,488,444. With your help and support, the funds can be increased and you could be helping a family out there who has been evacuated from their home and everything they have known.

No comments:

Post a Comment