Wednesday, June 1, 2011

"Frosty the snowman..."

Frosty the snowman was a jolly happy soul
With a corncob pipe and a button nose
and two eyes made out of coal
Frosty the snowman is a fairy tale they say
He was made of snow but the children
know how he came to life one day
There must have been some magic in that
old silk hat they found
For when they placed it on his head
he began to dance around...
Oh, Frosty the snowman... 

Despite being a person who is cold often, winter is one of my favourite seasons. I grew up in an environment where Christmas music was always played in the car for as long as the radios would play it, hot chocolate is a must and we go to the movies on Christmas (though I have always wondered about what it is like to have a Christmas tree in your house and run down the stairs on Christmas day...Kelsey can attest that I asked her this many times when we were roommates). I love watching the snow fall and blanket the earth. (I also really love when classes are canceled.) I love jumpers, mittens, scarves, wearing tights and two pairs of socks, coats and hats. One of my favourite memories from sophomore year is when Laura and I "trekked" to EDS campus in the snow.

Which is why I was REALLY excited to get a second winter while I was here abroad in Australia.

However, there is no snow in Australia (you have to go to New Zealand for that!). And...its June. Thats right guys...its winter and its June! As someone who grew up in New Jersey and goes to uni (school/college/university/undergrad/whatever you wish to call it!) in Boston, I have had my fill of snow, cold weather and running around in multiple layers.

Today, though I wore these:


That's right, everyone back home, for the first time in my entire life -- I wore THONGS (flip flops to everyone back home) to uni. I did have to wear a jumper (see next photo), but I wore a t-shirt under that.

As I told some Australian girls I have class with on Wednesdays, "Its not winter if I'm wearing thongs."

So this is an unusual winter for me, though I did get quite a winter this past December/January/February with all of that snow. Despite loving the jumpers, etc. of wintertime, I do love the fact I'm wearing thongs in June (kinda like I would be back home! I was told that it's 32 C* back home). 

Its crazy but tomorrow is my last day of class. This week is our last week of lectures and tutorials and I cannot help but to admit - Thank goodness! As much as I love school and learning, I am ready to be a summer bum (or I guess here, a winter bum) and do tons of reading and tanning by the pool.

I have one more paper to write and finish up, I am going to Melbourne in two days with Becca and then I need to sort out my Sydney plans. I am also having a sleepover with Meg and Bella in which we watch Disney movies, Emily and Bella and I go camping on the 20th, I have to study, and then I take a final on the 23rd. So uni is technically not over with, but...close enough. I mean, all my friends from the States/other study abroad programs are done! Why not me? (I kid. I love it here. But I could just do the traveling abroad minus the studying thing! ;-))

I am spending my evening with my BFF, Tim Tams (the BEST biscuits EVER. I am bringing back lots and lots and lots of boxes.  and Doctor Who season 5. My friend Emma lent me Season 5 and some of Season 6 so I am almost caught up! Very exciting. Now I can go home and chat about it like the sci-fi geek I am. Ha.


xo!
Me and a value! pack of Tim Tams

4 comments:

  1. Bahaha winter in Australia is the best, Tim Tams FTW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are having SO much fun! I'm so glad! *hugs* I owe you a big chatty email--as soon as I finish this next round of revisions, promise!

    I love Doctor Who! I'm two episodes behind on the new season though. Hoping to get all caught up tomorrow if I can take an editing break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim Tams are big in Abu Dhabi too (that's where I first tasted them). Enjoy the last of the school work; do good!

    ReplyDelete